Religion and life in general are connected in the UAE: culture, politics and way of living are all influenced by the teachings of Islam. Nevertheless the UAE is tolerant towards other religions.
Islam is a monotheistic religion. It begun with the Prophet Mohammad in the seventh century. The teachings of Islam are contained in the Quran, the holy book of Islam.
There are five obligatory acts for followers of Islam:
• Shahada, the witnessing : Belief without suspicion or doubt
• Salat: Formal act of worship consisting of five daily prayers
• Sawm: Fasting during Ramadan
• Zakat, almsgiving: Giving part of one’s wealth to charity, the poor and in need
• Hajj: The pilgrimage to Mecca at least once in a lifetime if possible